Jessica Beth Schwartz Scholarship Fund
A scholarship, celebrating the memory of Jessica Beth Schwartz, for college bound transplant recipients.
Jessica Beth Schwartz experienced 8½ additional years of life thanks to the gift of organ donation. Jessica’s family and friends continue to honor her memory with a scholarship fund, available to college-bound transplant recipients.
Jessica received a heart transplant and always stayed focused on her goal of college education. This fund supports others who share that dream. It awards $2,500 annually to a transplant recipient who is a senior in high school, or is enrolled in a 2- or 4-year college, university or trade/technical school.
Funds for the scholarship have been raised through the annual event Jessie’s Day – Give the Gift of Scholarship that celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2022. Donations to help support the scholarships can be made online.
Students who apply must meet the following criteria:
- Be an organ transplant recipient
- Be a senior in high school or currently enrolled in a 2- or 4-year college, university, or trade/technical school
- Reside in the eastern half of Pennsylvania, Southern New Jersey or Delaware
- Be under the age of 25
- Must use the funds for education at an accredited college, university, or trade/technical school certificate during the current academic year
How to apply
- Write a short essay (200 words or less) that describes an educational initiative to promote organ and tissue donation and transplantation awareness to high school students
- Write a personal statement (500 words or less) summarizing your transplant story and extracurricular and/or volunteer activities
- Provide two letters of reference from a non-relative (eg. from your transplant center)
- Provide current transcript and/or acceptance letter from your college, university, or trade/technical school