Jessica Beth Schwartz Scholarship Fund
A scholarship, celebrating the memory of Jessica Beth Schwartz, for college bound transplant recipients.
Jessica Beth Schwartz experienced 8½ additional years of life thanks to the gift of organ donation. Jessica’s family and friends continue to honor her memory with a scholarship fund, available to college-bound transplant recipients.
Jessica received a heart transplant and always stayed focused on her goal of college education. This fund supports others who share that dream. It awards $2,500 annually to a transplant recipient who is a senior in high school, or is enrolled in a 2- or 4-year college, university or trade/technical school.
Funds for the scholarship have been raised through the annual event Jessie’s Day – Give the Gift of Scholarship that celebrated its 19th anniversary in 2021. Donations to help support the scholarships can be made online here.
Students who apply must meet the following criteria:
- Be an organ transplant recipient
- Be a senior in high school or currently enrolled in a 2- or 4-year college, university, or trade/technical school
- Reside in the eastern half of Pennsylvania, Southern New Jersey or Delaware
- Be under the age of 25
- Must use the funds for education at an accredited college, university, or trade/technical school certificate during the current academic year
How to apply
- Write a short essay (200 words or less) that describes an educational initiative to promote organ and tissue donation and transplantation awareness to high school students
- Write a personal statement (500 words or less) summarizing your transplant story and extracurricular and/or volunteer activities
- Provide two letters of reference from a non-relative (eg. from your transplant center)
- Provide current transcript and/or acceptance letter from your college, university, or trade/technical school