Gift of Life Donor Sabbath
Gift of Life Donor Sabbath provides an opportunity to discuss the critical need for organ and tissue donors and encourage organ donor registration in your house of worship.
Gift of Life Donor Sabbath 2023 will take place this November. Sign up to participate as an individual or on behalf of your house of worship.
Faith leaders are invited to join other clergy and interfaith colleagues in signing a proclamation of support for the generosity and compassion inherent in the heroic act of organ and tissue donation.
Gift of Life Donor Sabbath
Gift of Life Donor Sabbath, observed annually in November, seeks to educate faith-based communities about the need for organ, eye and tissue donors. This initiative partners with faith leaders, houses of worship, and faith-based organizations to educate its congregations about the critical need for donors and to dispel myths and discuss religious beliefs about the donation process. It’s important to note: All major religions in the United States support organ, eye and tissue donation as an unselfish act of charity.
“Organ donation is a testimony of love for our neighbor…” – Pope Francis
Gift of Life Donor Program provides speakers, brochures, materials, and religious resources FREE to faith-based organizations and houses of worship which promote Gift of Donor Sabbath.
Plan a Donor Sabbath activity such as inviting a Gift of Life representative to speak, holding a donor registration drive, hosting a donor workshop, organizing a candle lighting ceremony, adding information about Gift of Life Donor Sabbath in the bulletin, newsletter, website and e-mail, or highlighting a person in your congregation who has a donation or transplant story.
How you can be a part of Gift of Life Donor Sabbath
- Host activities such as a donor registration drive or donor workshop.
- Light a Donor Sabbath candle in honor of heroes who gave the gift of life and patients awaiting a transplant.
- Invite a representative from Gift of Life to speak to your organization in person or virtually.
- Highlight a story of donation and transplantation from your congregation.
- Publish an announcement in your congregation’s newsletter or bulletin.
- Share information via social media.
- Faith leaders are invited to sign a proclamation of support for the generosity and compassion inherent in the heroic act of donation.
- Find even more materials when you sign up to participate.
- Join us at the Nov. 11 Gift of Life Donor Sabbath Concert, featuring the Saint Thomas Gospel Choir. RSVP to indicate your interest.
“Whether you call him God or Jehovah or Allah, it’s all God and can bring anyone together.” After tragedy brought them together, Carol and Kareem realized they shared a special bond through their faith and the life-saving legacy of organ donation. Read the exceptional story of Carol and Kareem.
Executive Assistant Pastor Nicholas A. Smith of Bethany Baptist Church in Lindenwold, NJ discusses his connection with organ and tissue donation and the role this topic plays in his church.
For more information, or to participate in Gift of Life Donor Sabbath, contact Naja Killebrew at email@example.com.