Clergy have a unique capacity to increase awareness and acceptance of organ and tissue donation. The information below serves as a resource for clergy to help support Gift of Life’s mission.
At Gift of Life, we work closely with religious leaders and greatly appreciate their important role in the organ and tissue donation process.
Many religious leaders have become part of the team that works with us in comforting donor families in times of grief.
Clergy are often asked to clarify religious and moral questions a potential donor family has regarding end of life issues, when they turn to them for spirituality and healing. Their support and understanding of organ donation is critical to enabling life-saving transplants.
How you can support organ donation
Clergy have a unique capacity to increase awareness and acceptance of organ and tissue donation. We can help provide you with the resources to educate your congregation about organ donation and spread the message that it is one of the purest expressions of human compassion.
You can support organ donation in many ways, including:
- Explain how your religion supports organ donation during worship services
- Offer prayers for people awaiting a transplant and for those who have passed away and donated organs and tissues
- Ask a member of your congregation who has been affected by donation or transplant to write a personal story for your house of worship’s newsletter
- Invite a speaker to tell your congregation about how organ donation can save or change a life
- Host a donor drive to encourage individuals to join the Pennsylvania, New Jersey or Delaware donor registry
- Distribute Gift of Life brochures
- Support transplant families through a service project