Wrapped In Hugs
Gift of Life was inspired by the 2010 US Transplant Games, where all donor families present received a hand-knitted or crocheted wrap at the National Donor Recognition Ceremony. Gift of Life Donor Program would like to do the same at our local ceremonies, and we welcome volunteers to participate in creating wraps for a great cause.
Our intention in offering these wraps at our local Donor Remembrance Ceremonies is to make our donor families feel wrapped in gratitude and love, and to honor the gift their loved one has given another. Placing a beautiful, warm wrap around someone’s shoulders is a hug of compassion, and support, and we hope you'll join us to help make this program a reality. To learn more about our Donor Remembrance Ceremonies, please click here.
We are looking for volunteers to...
- Create hand knit or crocheted wraps
- Donate skeins of yarn and knitting needles
- Share this project with friends and family who knit or crochet
Please send all wraps to us by Oct. 1, 2016.
- Use any rectangular pattern you like or select from sample patterns below.
- Use machine washable/non-irritant yarn (ie. cotton).
- Approximate size should be 30” wide by 60” in length. Rectangular shapes only please. Because these wraps are handed out to multiple families at one time, we want them to be a consistent size.
- Any color or any mixture of color yarn is accepted.
- No tassels or fringe please.
Where to Send Finished Wraps
Completed wraps can be sent to:
Gift of Life Donor Program
Family Support Services
401 N. 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19123
Please include your full name and address with the wrap so we can acknowledge receipt of your beautiful wrap.
Patterns to Get You Started:
To get you started on creating your wrap choose from a variety of patterns. Please note that some of these patterns are larger than the suggested size. Adjust your knitting or crocheting accordingly.
Wrapped in Hugs - Knit Pattern 1 - 53.4KB
Wrapped in Hugs - Knit Pattern 2 - 260.3KB
Wrapped in Hugs - Knit Pattern 3 - 79.7KB
Wrapped in Hugs - Crochet Pattern 1 - 73.6KB
Wrapped in Hugs - Crochet Pattern 2 - 259.7KB
Wrapped in Hugs- Crochet Pattern 3 - 130.8KB
Minorities make up 58% of the National Transplant Waiting List. Learn more about how you can save a life.
Lukeman Harvey, currently on the waiting list for a life-saving kidney transplant.
Each volunteer group works closely with Gift of Life to implement programs and campaigns throughout the eastern half of Pennsylvania, southern New Jersey and Delaware.