National Minority Donor Awareness Month
National Minority Donor Awareness Month is focused on outreach and education including virtual events and messaging to provide education about organ and tissue donation and transplantation, encourage donor registration & family conversations about donation, and promote healthy living and disease prevention to decrease the need for transplantation.
National Minority Donor Awareness Month is celebrated throughout the month of August. The goal of this annual observance is to increase organ donor registrations among communities of color, which make up nearly 60 percent of the more than 100,000 people on the national waitlist for life-saving organ transplants and to honor those have been organ and tissue donors.
Education is so important, especially among communities of color, where myths and misconceptions are more prevalent.
There are more than 5,000 men, women and children on the waitlist in Gift of Life Donor Program’s region, which includes the eastern half of Pennsylvania, southern New Jersey and Delaware.
- Share multicultural stories
- 2020 National Minority Donor Awareness Month Flyers
- 2020 National Minority Donor Awareness Month PowerPoint
- 2020 National Minority Donor Awareness Month Web Banners
- 2020 National Minority Donor Awareness Month Social Media Resources
- 2020 National Minority Donor Awareness Month Infographics
Multicultural Communities in Donation and Transplantation…
- Make up 60% of people currently on the U.S. transplant waiting list
- Make up 46% of people who received organ transplants in 2019
- Make up 32% of deceased and living organ donors in 2019
Organ Donation among African Americans
- 29% of people waiting for life-saving organ transplants in the nation are African American.
- In 2019, 15% of the organ donors in Gift of Life’s region were African American.
- In the 25-44 year-old age group, the rate of African Americans who have kidney failure caused by high blood pressure is 20 times higher than Caucasians.
- African Americans are three to four times more likely to progress to end stage renal disease for chronic kidney disease than Caucasians.
Organ Donation among Hispanics
- In 2019, 9% of the organ donors in Gift of Life’s region were Hispanic.
- Nearly 23,000 of those on the national waiting list are Hispanic/Latino
- There were 6,707 Hispanic/Latino organ transplant recipients in 2019
Organ Donation among Asian/Pacific Islander population
- Nearly 10,000 of those on the national waiting list are Asian/Pacific Islander
- There were 2,356 Asian/Pacific Islander organ transplant recipients in 2019
- In 2019, there were 345 deceased and 329 living Asian/Pacific Islander donors