Get The Facts
All of the facts you need to know about the great need for organ donor awareness.
Get the facts about organ and tissue donation that you need to know so you can make an informed choice about saying “yes’ to being a donor.
Organ & Tissue Donation Fast Facts
- 95% of people support organ donation.
- About 36,000 Americans receive a life-saving transplant each year.
- Sadly, 20 people die each day waiting for an organ transplant.
- There are more than 5,000 men, women and children in our region awaiting a life-saving organ transplant.
- Nationally, there are approximately 114,000 people on the waiting list for an organ transplant.
- Just one organ donor can save up to eight lives, and one tissue donor can benefit as many as 75 others.
- Every 10 minutes, another person is added to the national transplant waiting list.
- 83% of patients waiting for a life-saving transplant are waiting for a kidney.
- More than half of the patients on the waiting list are from communities of color.
- Being an organ donor does not affect medical care or funeral arrangements.
- If everyone was a registered organ donor, it is estimated we would double the number of lives saved.
- About Gift of Life Donor Program: Since 1974, Gift of Life has coordinated more than 47,000 organ transplants and approximately 1 million life-enhancing tissue transplants.
- Gift of Life’s region is the eastern half of PA, southern NJ and DE.
- Gift of Life’s service area includes 11.2 million people.
- Gift of Life’s annual donation rate equates to 55 organ donors per-million-population – ranking it among the highest in the world. GLDP serves the most giving region in the nation!