Get The Facts
All of the facts you need to know about the great need for organ donor awareness.
Organ & Tissue Donation Fast Facts
- 95% of people support organ donation.
- More than 42,000 Americans received a life-saving transplant in 2022, the first time yearly transplants exceeded that threshold.
- Sadly, 17 people die each day waiting for an organ transplant.
- There are more than 5,000 men, women and children in our region awaiting a life-saving organ transplant.
- Nationally, there are more than 100,000 people on the waiting list for an organ transplant.
- One organ donor can save up to eight lives, and one tissue donor can improve the lives of more than 100 others.
- Every 10 minutes, another person is added to the national transplant waiting list.
- 85% of patients waiting for a life-saving transplant are waiting for a kidney.
- More than half of the patients on the waiting list are from communities of color.
- Being an organ donor does not affect medical care or funeral arrangements.
- About Gift of Life Donor Program: Since 1974, Gift of Life has coordinated more than 58,000 organ transplants and more than 2 million life-enhancing tissue transplants.
- Gift of Life’s region is the eastern half of PA, southern NJ and DE.
- Gift of Life’s service area includes 11.3 million people.
- Gift of Life’s annual donation rate equates to 61 organ donors per-million-population — ranking it among the highest in the world. GLDP serves the most giving region in the nation!