Get The Facts
All of the facts you need to know about the great need for organ donor awareness.
Organ & Tissue Donation Fast Facts
- 95% of people support organ donation.
- About 36,000 Americans receive a life-saving transplant each year.
- Sadly, 20 people die each day waiting for an organ transplant.
- There are more than 5,000 men, women and children in our region awaiting a life-saving organ transplant.
- Nationally, there are approximately 114,000 people on the waiting list for an organ transplant.
- Just one organ donor can save up to eight lives, and one tissue donor can benefit as many as 75 others.
- Every 10 minutes, another person is added to the national transplant waiting list.
- 83% of patients waiting for a life-saving transplant are waiting for a kidney.
- More than half of the patients on the waiting list are from communities of color.
- Being an organ donor does not affect medical care or funeral arrangements.
- If everyone was a registered organ donor, it is estimated we would double the number of lives saved.
- About Gift of Life Donor Program: Since 1974, Gift of Life has coordinated more than 47,000 organ transplants and approximately 1 million life-enhancing tissue transplants.
- Gift of Life’s region is the eastern half of PA, southern NJ and DE.
- Gift of Life’s service area includes 11.2 million people.
- Gift of Life’s annual donation rate equates to 55 organ donors per-million-population – ranking it among the highest in the world. GLDP serves the most giving region in the nation!