Donation Champion Learning Sessions
This is a one day, highly interactive program that focuses on the role of critical care staff in utilizing and sharing best-demonstrated practices for referring potential organ donors to the organ procurement organization, providing support for families of potential organ donors, and maximizing clinical donor management. Please note, not all sessions are held in Philadelphia. Please make note of the location of the training which is listed next to the date (all programs are NOT held in Philadelphia). As registration opens, a link to the registration site will be placed next to each individual session date.
Attendees will be given focused information to allow them to become Donation Champions, someone who role-models and shares key information to assist colleagues in carrying out best demonstrated practices in real time. These programs are open to staff who work at hospitals in Gift of Life's region. PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED FOR ALL SESSIONS.
- Discuss strategies to increase the number of available transplantable organs and meet the needs of patients waiting for organ transplants.
- Describe transplant recipients' and donor family members' perspectives on organ donation (hear the stories and experiences of a donor family and transplant recipient).
- Discuss best demonstrated practices related to timeliness of potential organ donor referrals, family support, and approaching families about organ donation opportunities.
- Describe the clinical testing used to determine brain death and how it is communicated to families.
- Compare and contrast the process for donation after brain death with donation after circulatory death.
- Discuss donor management strategies that impact the number and quality of organs available for transplant.
Who Should Attend? ICU and ER Nurses, Nurse Leaders, Respiratory Therapists, Palliative Care, Social Work, Pastoral Care and Anyone Who May Care for a Potential Organ Donor at a hospital in Gift of Life's region.
2017 Donation Champion Schedule
- Thursday, January 26, 2017 in Philadelphia, PA
- Friday, February 3, 2017 at Christiana Hospital in DE
- Thursday, March 9, 2017 in Philadelphia, PA
- Tuesday, March 28, 2017 in Harrisburg, PA
- Thursday, April 20, 2017 in Philadelphia, PA
- Thursday, May 4, 2017 in Wilkes-Barre, PA
- Thursday, June 1, 2017 in Philadelphia, PA
- Thursday, July 13, 2017 in Philadelphia, PA
- Thursday, August 17, 2017 in Philadelphia, PA
- Thursday, September 7, 2017 in Atlantic City, NJ
- Thursday, September 14, 2017 in Bethlehem, PA
- Thursday, October 26, 2017 at Lankenau Medical Center, PA
- Thursday, November 2, 2017 in Philadelphia, PA
- Wednesday, November 8, 2017 in Lewisburg, PA (REGISTRATION CLOSED)
- Thursday, December 7, 2017 in Philadelphia, PA (REGISTRATION FULL/CLOSED)
Our 2018 schedule is in development!
For questions regarding the Donation Champion Learning Sessions, contact Gift of Life's Hospital Services department professional education coordinator.
Andrea Reynolds, e-mail
(215) 557-8090, ext. 1229
Find Related Info
Giving Life a Second Chance
Since 1974, Gift of Life Donor Program has helped hundreds of thousands of patients through organ and tissue donation.
Threads of Love Donor Quilt
Explore the online quilts to view the quilt squares provided by the loved ones of those who died and gave the gift of life. The actual quilts are available for display in public places throughout the region to promote donor awareness.
Register to Be a Donor
It’s easy to add the donor designation to your driver's license or state I.D. card. In Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. Sign up today!
Joe thought his days of playing soccer were over when he was diagnosed with heart disease and needed a life-saving heart transplant to survive. Now, at 18, he is back on the field and living up to his nickname "The Blur" all thanks to his hero, an organ donor.