Donation Champion Learning Sessions
This is a one day, highly interactive program that focuses on the role of critical care staff in utilizing and sharing best-demonstrated practices for referring potential organ donors to the organ procurement organization, providing support for families of potential organ donors, and maximizing clinical donor management. Please note, not all sessions are held in Philadelphia. Please make note of the location of the training which is listed next to the date (all programs are NOT held in Philadelphia). As registration opens, a link to the registration site will be placed next to each individual session date.
Attendees will be given focused information to allow them to become Donation Champions, someone who role-models and shares key information to assist colleagues in carrying out best demonstrated practices in real time.
- Discuss strategies to increase the number of available transplantable organs and meet the needs of patients waiting for organ transplants.
- Describe transplant recipients' and donor family members' perspectives on organ donation (hear the stories and experiences of a donor family and transplant recipient).
- Discuss best demonstrated practices related to timeliness of potential organ donor referrals, family support, and approaching families about organ donation opportunities.
- Describe the clinical testing used to determine brain death and how it is communicated to families.
- Compare and contrast the process for donation after brain death with donation after cardiac death.
- Discuss donor management strategies that impact the number and quality of organs available for transplant.
Who Should Attend? ICU and ER Nurses, Nurse Leaders, Respiratory Therapists, and Anyone Who May Care for a Potential Organ Donor at a hospital in Gift of Life's region.
2014 Donation Champion Schedule (Session date and location)
Thursday, April 17, 2014 - Philadelphia, PA (REGISTRATION CLOSED/SESSION FULL)
Thursday, May 15, 2014 - Wilkes-Barre, PA (CLICK HERE TO REGISTER)
Thursday, June 26, 2014 - Philadelphia, PA (REGISTRATION CLOSED/SESSION FULL)
Thursday, July 31, 2014 - Philadelphia, PA (REGISTRATION CLOSED/SESSION FULL)
Thursday, August 28, 2014 - Philadelphia, PA (REGISTRATION NOT OPEN/Check back May 1)
Thursday, September 11, 2014 - Atlantic City, NJ (REGISTRATION NOT OPEN/Check back May 19)
Thursday, September 18, 2014 - Allentown, PA (REGISTRATION NOT OPEN)
Thursday, November 13, 2014 - Philadelphia, PA (REGISTRATION NOT OPEN)
Thursday, December 4, 2014 - Philadelphia, PA (REGISTRATION NOT OPEN)
We are still finalizing the date for our session held in Atlantic City, NJ- please check back!
For questions regarding the Donation Champion Learning Sessions, contact Gift of Life's Hospital Services department professional education coordinator...
Andrea Reynolds, e-mail
(215) 557-8090, ext. 1229
Find Related Info
The Dash for Organ and Tissue Donor Awareness is designed to help promote organ and tissue donation and highlight the success of transplantation. April 13, 2014.
Threads of Love Donor Quilt
Explore the online quilts to view the quilt squares provided by the loved ones of those who died and gave the gift of life. The actual quilts are available for display in public places throughout the region to promote donor awareness.