Power 99 FM Supports Organ and Tissue Donation
Register to be an organ and tissue donor today!
Currently, nationally there are over 117,00 people in need of a lifesaving or healing transplant, with over 29 percent of whom are of African American heritage. The chances for a successful transplant increase significantly when people of the same ethnicity are matched, so it is imperative that we continue to register more donors of all ethnic backgrounds. African Americans have higher rates of diabetes and high blood pressure than Caucasians, increasing the risk of organ failure.
Facts and Figures
- African Americans represent 38% of people waiting for organ transplants in Gift of Life's service region, which includes Delaware, the eastern half of Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey.
- African Americans make up 12% of the region's overall population, but represent 43% of patients on the kidney transplant waiting list.
- African Americans represent 15% of deceased donors and 11% of living donors to date.
- Of the more than 2,562 African Americans waiting for transplants this region, 90% are waiting for kidney transplants.
- In the 25-44 year-old age group, the rate of African Americans who have kidney failure caused by high blood pressure is 20 times higher than Caucasians.
African Americans, like other minorities, have the best chance of a successful organ transplant if the donor is of the same ethnic background.
Listen to Mina Say What's PSA! - 483.2KB
This program is funded by a grant from Donors are Heroes. Donors are Heroes is a committed group of volunteers supporting Gift of Life Donor Program and its charitable supporting organization, Transplant Foundation. Its mission is to raise public awareness about the importance of becoming an organ and tissue donor and to dispel the concerns and myths surrounding this process. To learn more about Donors are Heroes, click here.
The 20th Annual Donor Dash is designed to help promote organ and tissue donation and highlight the success of transplantation.
April 19, 2015.
Power 99 Supports Organ Donation
Gift of Life, Power 99, and Donors are Heroes have teamed up to support organ and tissue donation. Find upcoming events that feature this partnership celebrating the gift of life!
Gift of Life offers educational materials, speakers and resources free of charge to promote organ and tissue donation in communities in our region.