David Nelson Jr Memorial Fund
The David Nelson Jr. Memorial Fund provides educational scholarships for children of deceased organ and tissue donors.
Join us for the 8th Annual David's Parrot Party Fundraiser on July 9! Details here!
David Nelson Jr. passed away suddenly in July 2006. During his journey, David’s compassion for others resulted in his decision to be an organ donor. Because of his courageous efforts, five other people have received organs necessary to save or improve their lives. While his loved ones continue to struggle daily with their grief, knowing that David was able to improve the lives of other people and their families eases their pain.
In his memory, David’s family and friends have established the David Nelson Jr. Memorial Fund. The Fund’s mission and purpose is to provide educational scholarships for surviving children of donor parents, in David’s spirit of compassion and giving. Awarding financial support to donor families provides an opportunity to “give back” to the true heroes – the donors – by supporting their children's educational goals.
The David Nelson Jr. Memorial Fund will annually award a $1,000 scholarship to a deserving child of a deceased donor parent or guardian. The funds will help pay for high school or college.
For more information, please visit The Fund's web site, www.davidnelsonjrmemorialfund.org.
- Be a child of a deceased organ, tissue or cornea donor who was his or her parent or guardian
- Be enrolled in a private or parochial high school OR presently enrolled in or accepted for the 2016 academic year to a 2 or 4-year college, university or trade/technical school
- Reside in Eastern Pennsylvania, Southern New Jersey or Delaware covered by Gift of Life Donor Program
- Be under 25 years old
- Use scholarship award for continuing education at private/parochial high school, accredited college, university or trade/technical school certificate program during 2016-2017 academic year
- Provide a brief statement summarizing academic ambitions and extracurricular and/or volunteer activities
- Provide two letters of reference from a non-relative (i.e. Teacher, Clergy)
- Provide current transcript and/or acceptance letter from high school, college, university, or trade/technical school
Applications for 2016 are now open! Deadline for applications has been extended to June 3, 2016. Applications must be postmarked by this date.
2016 David M. Nelson Jr. Scholarship Application - 151.0KB
Auditions Open Now!
The Saving Lives is Beautiful Gospel Competition and Program is now accepting audition videos for the July 31 event. Click the image above to find out more!
Lodging and Support
Thousands of patients come to Philadelphia hospitals every year needing life-saving organ transplants. Family House will provide critically needed support programs and temporary lodging for organ transplant patients and their families.
at the 2016 Transplant Games of America.
Transplant recipients from our region will compete in Olympic-style competition this summer at the Transplant Games of America, held in Cleveland, Ohio. Follow along with the team's progress and cheer on our local athletes as they show the work that transplantation works!