Ask an Expert
- Contact Us and ask an expert about organ and tissue donation.
Threads of Love - Instructions for Submitting a Quilt Square
Your love and attribution are all that are required to create a quilt square for your loved one. You don't need to be artistic or exceptionally talented to contribute a panel for the quilt. You can make your panel as plain and simple, or as decorated and ornate, as you choose.
- Your panel must be ten inches square, allowing a ½ inch border on all edges, leaving a nine-inch square for your design. There is no need to finish the edges.
- You may use any cloth, remembering it will be displayed and handled.
- You may choose to use fabric of sentimental materials as a baby blanket, a school or team jacket, tie, favorite sweater or sweatshirt, etc.
- You may adorn a fabric square with a photo, poem, or quote that symbolize your loved one's life. Photos and printed matter may be transferred onto fabric (available at many office supply stores, and photo specialty shops). Remember to request mirror image transfer to iron to fabric. Please do not use actual photos.
- Pins, panels, buttons may be attached. Please be certain they are secure to fabric.
- You may include the name of your loved one and any significant date.
Please feel free to include a written description of 300 words or less explaining your panel. These descriptions will be included in a book accompanying the quilt. Please also complete the release form which allows the Gift of Life Donor Program to display your panel and tribute on our Web site.
If you have any questions, please contact Lara Moretti, Family Support Services Supervisor at 800-DONORS-1 ext. 1103 or via email.
Please return your completed panel and written description to:
Gift of Life Donor Program
Family Support Services
401 North 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19123
Please include your name, address, telephone, e-mail and the name of your loved one.
Threads of Love Donor Quilt
Explore the online quilts to view the quilt squares provided by the loved ones of those who died and gave the gift of life. The actual quilts are available for display in public places throughout the region to promote donor awareness.
End of Year PR
Record Year for Gift of Life!
Gift of Life broke two national records for organ donation in 2017. We are so thankful to all donors and donor families who have selflessly given the "gift of life." Read our full statement here.
Donor Dash – April 15!
SAVE THE DATE! The 23rd Annual Donor Dash will be SUNDAY, APRIL 15 at the Philadelphia Museum of Art! Registration is now open.
The 2018 Donor Dash will feature 10K and 5K runs, a 3K walk, and a Kids Fun Run. This special event attracts people of all ages, abilities and fitness levels.
Gift of Life works tirelessly to rewrite the stories for the more than 5,600 people in our region waiting for their second chance at life. The gift of organ and tissue donation truly can change someone's life and rewrite their story. How has the Gift of Life rewritten your story? Share with us.